I will be happy to write recommendation letter for you. Please read the following carefully: 1. First thing you need to do when you would like to get a recommendation letter from any teacher is to show the teacher courtesy and respect by ASKING if they can write you a recommendation. I should not receive an email for a recommendation before you discuss this with me. Also, using the words "please" and "thank you" are definitely a good idea as recommendation letters take a lot of time to write. :)
2. The reality is that the better I know you, the better recommendation I can write. It's easy to write recommendations for highly involved, passionate and invested students. I highly recommend you pick teachers to write you recommendations that have had recently unless you are in regular contact with the teacher. If I haven't had you in a year or two and haven't seen you or have only had you once in class, then it's not as easy to write the recommendation.
3. Please give me at least TWO WEEKS before the deadline you want it back (not the deadline the organization requires it). Also, please provide me a hard copy of the following five items stapled together:
1. Resume- a hard copy; activities in and outside of school (include volunteer work, sports, awards, accomplishments) 2. A list of eight adjectives that describe you. Again a hard copy. 3. Statement about your aspirations after high/school college. 4. Statement of the major goals you have for yourself in life. 5. Give 3 examples of leadership.
4. If the recommendation has to be mailed, please include addressed envelope and stamp.
5. Write your name on the calendar next to my desk on the date you wish to receive the letter.
Why does Mr. Hardin need all this? This will help you get the best possible recommendation as I will use all the materials you give to write the letter. ****Frequent reminders from you as the date approaches wouldn't hurt. The school year is very busy for me. If your deadline is a few days away and I haven't finished it please continually remind me. So, please annoy me to make sure it gets done on time. :)